Saturday, June 8, 2013

Yes or No on Homeschooling??

K can I just say that I am fed up with hearing so many ridiculous things that are happening in schools and everything that obama wants and is changing??  Plus, because of my experiences in school, I thought there were already enough problems.  I know the school system can never be perfect, but I feel like it's just getting worse.  It's just so frustrating that every time I hear something even more ridiculous than I thought it could ever get, it makes me want to homeschool my future kids even more, and I have never liked the idea of homeschooling.  I'm not against other people doing it, and some of my best friends were homeschooled growing up, I just never thought it was something I would ever do.

Here is what I have learned from my own experiences:

1.  The teacher makes or breaks the class, and once you get past elementary school, from what I saw there are few teachers that honestly seem to care about teaching.  I moved to Indiana in the middle of 4th grade, and I had amazing teachers up until that point.  The teacher that I had for the second half of 4th grade was ridiculous.  She was finishing up her last year before she retired, and you could tell.  She was also in charge of the computer lab and any computer work for the rest of the school, and she spent most of her time working on that.  We had a math lesson once a week, a science lesson whenever she felt like it, and a spelling lesson once a day, and that's pretty much it.  She also handed out a multiplication tables quiz (which we mastered at least 2 years before that) about twice a day so it would look like we were doing something, but we never had to turn them in.  We just had to keep them on our desks. In the 5 months that I was in her class, I always felt so out of place because I was used to learning all day, and that's what I wanted to do at the time.  The other kids in my class had gotten used to the teacher, and they were fine with just hanging out and playing on their own for most of the day.  We spent half of the week sitting in the computer lab playing games online while she worked with some computers and the other half hanging out with our friends in the classroom while she was on her own computer.  By the end of the year, I remember saying by to her, and she had no idea what my name was.  I had been there for more than 5 months.  That's just ridiculous.  I know that that's not normal for elementary teachers, but it still happens.

Middle school wasn't too bad; I feel like most of the teachers truly cared about teaching, but there were some who seemed to hate their job and just told us to read something and be quiet the whole time.  There were also others like my music, band, and art teachers who were super annoyed of everyone except their 4 favorite kids in the class, and the only reason they liked them was because they were good at what the teacher was teaching.

High school just seemed like a disaster.  There were maybe a fourth of the teachers at my high school who truly cared about teaching, and I loved those classes, even if I didn't do very well in them.  Then there were also teachers who only cared about the kids on the football team, or track team, or whatever team they cared about.  I had lots and lots of teachers that did nothing but tell everyone to sit and work on something and leave them alone while they sat in the corner and talked to all the kids on their favorite team about how their practices were coming or what they should do differently next game.  I had a history teacher who was so caught up in his track team that the last month of school we had no tests or assignments because he "was too busy for teaching".  I had a gym teacher that sat in his office with all of the football players to teach them new plays while the rest of us sat on the bleachers.  We didn't even have to change into gym clothes the entire year.  No wonder Evansville has the highest obesity rate in the country!  haha just kidding...but for real. geez.  Yeah, there were more that were just as ridiculous.  Then I had teachers who planned the classes well, but by the end of the class they had yelled and lost their patience with us enough that they cancelled the plans and made us sit in silence.  Or the teachers who had lost their patience years ago so every class period they handed out an assignment for us to finish by the end of the period and told us not to bother him.  I had lots of those.  I never had any homework that I couldn't finish in class, and I never had to study for tests.  They were just so easy that it was almost a joke.


2.  There is way too much time being wasted.  I know this has a lot to do with the teacher, also, but some of it you just can't avoid.  Even in elementary school there was a lot of sitting around while the teacher helped another student.  Again, it was worse in high school.  For those classes that we sat around and were told to "do something and don't bother me", which was pretty often, we just sat and talked.  I swear half of my day was just sitting and talking.  We also had a class period that was an hour and a half long every other day that was known as "homeroom".  This period was basically for people to do homework and make up any work or tests that they missed.  I'm sure it was great for people who missed school a lot or had to spend a lot of time on homework, but for someone like me who had perfect attendance in high school and always finished my homework in my actual class, it was an hour of free time where my friends and I sat around being bored.  Plus, teachers always gave a crazy amount of time for people to finish tests or assignments, and we all just sat there for more than half the period because we were all finished, but the teacher didn't have any new plans for us.


3.  Lunches.  I always thought it was strange that they served kindergarteners the same amount of food as a senior in high school.  What?  That makes no sense.  I never felt like we got enough food, especially since I had basketball practice every day after school.  I was starving by the time school ended!  It has now gotten worse since Michelle Obama has limited the amount of food in the schools.  My younger brother says he needs what the school will allow him to eat plus bring his own lunch in order to have enough energy for sports after school.  It just doesn't make sense.  Plus what's all this about not serving them carbs or protein??  Aren't you supposed to have more servings of carbs than anything else? Hello, food pyramid!  Plus, whats up with these...


Pretty sure they were impossible to drink out of.  You either ended up with the straw poked through the back so if you pull it out it will spill everywhere or you got it in right, but if you moved the bag, the milk would shoot up through the straw and hit you in the face!  Worst idea ever.

ok, I'm getting tired of complaining about the schools, so I'm going to stop.  I hope this doesn't sound like I hated school and everything about it.  I really did love school most of the time.


So Homeschooling:  Yes/no?

I don't really know a lot about the benefits for it, but I do love that they can learn at their own pace and in their own way.  They also have a one-on-one teacher, and you can learn more hands on since you don't have to worry about 30 kids making a mess.  I think there wouldn't be near as much time wasted, and its pretty easy to feed them what you want and when you want to.  You don't have to worry about teachers who don't care or won't listen to your kids, either.  Let me know what you think.  I know that I don't have to decide this any time soon, obviously, but it's nice to learn more about the options.

7 comments:

  1. So far for me, I think that they get a better education at school than they could have possibly gotten from me. I have loved their teachers and they obviously work hard to help my kids. (Of course my kids so far are in kindergarten and 2nd grade) :) If I ever feel differently, I'll have no qualm about pulling them out. I guess that is not much of an answer. Coincidentally, my homeschooling cousin started a conversation yesterday that was awesome about this very subject. I might copy it and paste it in a facebook message to you. Different people made great points on both sides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more note, I've read lots of scary stuff about schools too, and about common core. I'm in community council at school and common core came up during a discussion with the principal and a teacher, both of whom are great people who I trust. They really like the common core and mostly just want the politicians to stop changing their curriculum every couple of years. I don't know about the country as a whole, but I feel like Utah is overall in a better place than some other states, at least for now. (I'm sure someone more educated than I could dispute that :) ) But most of the teachers I've met in my school have good values and are sincerely concerned about the children they teach, and go the extra mile for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm extremely on the fence about what to do with my own kids. I had a FANTASTIC time in elementary through High school. No truly horrible teachers, most did their job and at least had a passing liking for it and interest in the kids. (I went to school in UT) but it's so political now and I loathe the idea of standardized testing. I want my children to actually LEARN when they go to school. But homeschooling is super intimidating. It takes a TON of time, and knowing that my children's ability to go to college or get a job hinged on me would be a lot of pressure and very intimidating. I haven't yet decided what to do about it. Part of me wants to homeschool. The other part wants to curl up in a corner and cry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lizzy, as a teacher, I agree that yes there are pros and cons to schooling and homeschooling. You'll have good teachers and you'll have bad teachers; but more good than bad (I personally find your experience to be very bizarre - definitely not the norm).

    I think the key is to live in a place that is known for having good schools and that isn't very transient - easy as that. In order for a school to be a good school it needs to have good teachers, places that that don't have a lot of overturn in student population tend to be the places that can afford to seek out and ensure they have the best teachers.

    However, that being said, people go into teaching because they love children, and most love the challenge of figuring out how their little minds are working, and love seeing them light up when they figure something out. So if you're in a situation where you live in Title 1 school, that doesn't mean your children are doomed; there are still a lot of great teachers - it's just a lot more complicated because the teachers have less support from parents. So maybe the best way to ensure that your child is getting a good education is to be an involved mom who volunteers in the classroom regularly.

    Also, a lot of people have the misconception that children learn at school and that its the teachers responsibility to make sure they learn, and that's not entirely the case - parents NEED to be reinforcing the things children are learning at school at home, and providing learning opportunities in the home. If you're considering homeschooling, why not send them to school and then also be really involved at home? Best of both worlds right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with Kristin. Parents at home make a HUGE difference in a child's education. Lizzie I think your education would have been good over all no matter where you grew up because your parents value education, have expectations for you, and are supportive. I went to high school in Mississippi, which is often listed at 50th on most list for education. Granted I think I was in one of the best districts in the state, but I put effort into my learning and took any of the hard classes that I could (except Calculus--I knew that I did not get along with that subject!) And I did very well in college and felt ahead of many of my friends educationally.

      Volunteering in your child's class makes a MASSIVE difference in how you see the school your child attends. I know the teachers, I understand the dynamics of the classroom, I know my kids friends, and I usually get the teacher I request for my children too.

      Somethings I really like about sending my children to school. Even though I am educated (I actually have a teaching degree) I like that my children are exposed to and taught by teachers that are experts in their fields. They have studied more of the subject than I have and know more than I know--especially the math teachers! I like that my children have to learn to deal with expectations of others and their personalities too. Having five boys, I know they need to know how to deal with others since they will not really get to hand pick their bosses or supervisors in their chosen profession later in life. I think school gives them a place to learn that where I couldn't teach them that. I also think students learn to value others because they see that sometimes they have to wait while someone else gets extra help learning something they grasped quickly--we're not all alike--so they learn to be patient with those situations.

      Another thought is your child's personality. I could never homeschool a couple of my boys. They just don't believe me! I taught Dallin piano and we'd just fight. I finally realized he'd be better off going to a different teacher. Another one of my boys just doesn't let me challenge him or push him along. We'd be terrible together homeschooling and getting the work done in a timely fashion. He struggles a little in school with the same things, but they are challenges he is learning to overcome and at home I can be a supportive and loving mom instead of the "teacher that is stressing him out." My mom had told me that she couldn't teach me anything either--and I remember thinking she didn't know anything too! So sometimes a child's personality comes into play too.

      I love that you're thinking about these things and planning. One thing that would be a good way to try everything out would be to do a preschool co-op the two years before kindergarten! I did it will all of kids and learned a lot about their learning style and helped them get ready for school. It was fun, a lot of work, very rewarding and I highly recommend it to any mom that is at home.

      Delete
  5. Awesome thoughts, thanks for those. I didn't think that different places would be different, and here in utah I hear a lot about people volunteering in classes, but we never once had anyone other than our teacher in our classes in indiana unless it was a student teacher. I have also heard really good things about the teachers here in utah, so maybe if we stay around I won't have much of a problem. And it is totally true that I can try schools and if I don't like what's happening, then I can pull them out. Those are all great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great thoughts. But now you need to write about the good things you got from public school. I am sure you can think up a few of them.
    As for how I feel about homeschooling and public school. It depends on where you live. Some states are more friendly toward homeschooling than others. Some require you to have a teaching degree to home school some do not. Some schools are just bad because there is no parent support which means kids don't do homework, skip school, misbehave in class. Does the school focus on sports or academics? Does your child have a learning disability that might do better with a one on one learning.

    I think public schools provide; more social activities and you learn to deal with a variety of personalities that you may have to deal with as an adult. I do think some classes are a waste of time or too much time is wasted on doing nothing or dealing with those troublesome kids. I really have a problem with the curriculum when your child is a TA for 2 class periods and is in chior just so he can do the sound for concerts. What is being learned here? NOTHING. In Kuna it is really easy for someone to graduate when they are a junior if they plan on this when they are a freshman. The councilor told me this so I know it can work.
    As for homeschooling, It depends on you and your kids. Some kids just won't let parents teach them and some will. Are your children self motiviated? using an online school is perfect for them. Are your kids the kind you have to tell them what to do 10 times. Homeschooling is going to be harder for you because you will become a nag.

    One family I know does home school and all the kids are just as social as if they went to a public school. These kids are involved in sports, physical activities, they have some subjects with other home schooled kids where the parents take turns teaching different subjects. Another family tried home school for a couple years and the mom was so worn out by the end of the day they decided to put the kids back in school. Another family the mom just home schools each child a certain grade in school. Kind of like Ruperts when they home schooled their kids during middle school years because they didn't like the teachers at that school.
    I will say one thing I always thought would be good about homeschooling is when teaching history you can take them to the physical place the event happened, if you are on vacation you plan as many historical stops as you can. Kids will remember history better. You can go on vacation anytime of year! not just summer or holidays. But you do have to have a daily schedule or you will never get anything done.

    When you have kids ready to start school you will know what to do. The most important thing is to get to know the teachers and friends of your kids.


    ReplyDelete