Sunday, February 10, 2013

Jeffrey R. Holland: Laborers in the Vineyard

I'm completely exhausted and not feeling great so I didn't go to church today.  I decided to watch some General Conference videos while Nick is at church, and Laborers in the Vineyard by Jeffrey R. Holland was the first one to come to my mind.  Can I just say I am in love with this talk?? It is probably my favorite conference talk of all time!  This is probably because it hits a spot that is very special to me.

All my life I never understood the parable of the Laborers in the Vineyard. For those of you who don't know what it is, watch the video at the bottom of the page first. It was so frustrating to me because I didn't think it was fair that they all got paid the same wage even though some people worked all day and some people only worked for an hour at the end of the day.  This is probably because I worked pollinating cornfields every summer since I was 14 and I absolutely HATED it.  I can honestly say I've never hated anything more than that.  I literally knew exactly how it felt to labor all day in a field.  If I went to work one day and at the end of the day I got paid the same amount as someone who only worked the last hour I would be livid.  Like throw a fit livid.  I would picture that person out with friends all day, coming to work the last hour (which is the easiest hour), and going back out with friends for the night. I would then picture myself going to work in the morning, working through the dew that makes the corn super itchy and scratchy, working through the hottest hours of the day drenched in sweat with bugs and pollen all over me, pushing through to the end when I think I can't work anymore, and finally going home to shower only to find that I was too tired to do anything but rest until it was time to go to work again.  Do you blame me for not understanding this parable?

2 years ago I took a religion class at BYU, and we talked about this parable.  The teacher made every difference in the way that I saw this parable.  He explained what times were like back then and what the people went through.  I finally understood the parable because I wasn't literally applying it to my life anymore.  I simply needed to literally apply it to times back then, find the meaning, and apply the meaning to my life now. I absolutely love this parable now, and it means so much to me. 

My teacher explained that in those times, many people would line up on the streets waiting for someone to come hire them for the day.  They did this every day, and on days that they didn't find a job they didn't have money to feed their families.  Those that were hired to work in the morning were so blessed because they had a job for the day.  They didn't have to worry about finding a job so they could have money to feed their family that night.  Those that were chosen at the last hour were probably so grateful for the chance to work even one hour of wages, let alone a whole day's wage.  They probably worried all day that they weren't going to find work, and by the last hour they had lost hope that anyone would hire them.

In these circumstances, even if I was one who started work in the morning, I would be glad that more people got to work to earn money for their families.  If they hadn't found work, I would even be tempted to give them the money that I earned so that their children didn't have to starve.  After this clicked in my brain, the meaning of the parable finally came through to me.  As members of the Lord's church, we work in His vineyard every day.  People join the church at all different stages of their lives, but we all get the same reward: all that the Father has!  Were you so excited when you realized this?!  I was ecstatic!!  Plus, I am truly blessed to have started in the "Vineyard" as a young child.  I had the comfort and help that the knowledge of the Gospel brings in the trials of life.  I had guidance and direction.  Because of this, I was able to avoid many of the sorrows of life, just as those who started work in the vineyard did when they didn't have to worry all day about whether or not they were going to feed their family that night. Those people that join the church later in life didn't have that guidance and comfort throughout life.  They were lost and had to figure things out on their own.  

Plus, when those of us who have been faithful members of the church our whole lives get to the Celestial Kingdom, we won't stand at the door and forbid those who didn't serve as long as we did to come in.  The thought of that is just ridiculous!  We will be throwing the door wide open, ready to receive anyone who is worthy to come in!  Now that thought makes me so extremely happy!  I would love if everyone could be worthy to be in the Celestial Kingdom and partake of the blessings that come with that!  Realizing this makes me want to go out and share the gospel with everyone I see! 

After finally realizing all of this, I am in love with this parable because it makes me want to be the best person I can possibly be.  It makes me want to share the gospel, stop judging others, and serve as many people as I possibly can. When I heard Jeffrey R. Holland's talk about this, I fell in love with it even more.  I hope that all of you can find the joy and light of this parable as much as I have.  Here is Elder Holland's talk for those of you who haven't heard it or want to hear it again!  I seriously watched this like 5 times today.



Don't be afraid of sharing your thoughts!  I love hearing other people's views.  We all sometimes find different ways to apply meanings to our lives, and I would love to know what you got out of the parable or the video!

1 comment:

  1. We talked about this when reading scriptures (me, the boys, and dad) It sure makes more sense when you understand the real story! Sorry we didn't do that so much when you were home. Make that a lesson that you can do better than we did.

    ReplyDelete